Ingredients for the brine:
2 onions cut in half
2 cut carrots
2 oranges cut in half
½ a stalk of celery (use the leaves as well)
A handful of cranberries, blackberries and rasberries
A few sprigs of thyme and sage
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of kosher salt
3 cinnamon sticks
1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
½ cup brown sugar
Pinch of black pepper
Create the cranberry citrus brine first.
1. Add the ingredients (you can use whatever ingredients you like to season the turkey) to a very large pot then add water and bring to a boil for a few minutes to unlock the flavors. Add ice to cool the brine down and add the turkey.
2. Let the turkey soak in the brine for one hour per pound. So for our 20 pound turkey it takes about 20 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
4. Remove the turkey from the brine, wash and pat dry the turkey.
5. Rub the turkey with butter.
6. Stuff a cut red onion and a white onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, a cut orange, and cranberries into the turkey’s body cavity. Cover the turkey with aluminum foil and cook for 4 hours (the breast side down for the first 3-3.5 hours then flip it) or until the internal temperature is 180° F.